How do I start the EHC process?


The parent of a student under 16 can request an EHC needs assessment by writing to the Director of Education or Head of Children’s Services of their Local Authority (LA). The school can assist with this process through provision of a letter supporting the parental application or this can also be completed on behalf of the parent by the school.

This application must show that:

  • The child potentially has a special educational need (SEN)
  • The provision to meet this need will need to be made through an EHC Plan

By law, the LA must respond to this request within six weeks, so keep a copy of the letter and make a note of the deadline for this response. If the application has been refused, the parent can consider appealing to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal.